About Me

My photo
Ohio, United States
My journey before and after bariatric surgery.

Friday, December 7, 2012

Let no opportunity go by to advocate for your child........

This was originally posted elsewhere on October 6, 2012 but I wanted to include it in the blog

Great day with my little man! 

One little incident in Walmart where I thought we were going to have a meltdown over a bag of candy. Eli wanted two, I said he had to pick one. Things began to escalate. 

The two college kids behind me in line were watching every exchange intently as I talked him down, talked him down, talked him down until he finally, unhappily, stalked over to put one back and then st
omp away, arms folded, glaring. 





I never apologize but always feel the need to explain my child.  After all, it's my job to prepare the world for him, and I must educate the world as to what they are what they are about to receive. 





So I looked at the young man and woman and said, "He's not spoiled...he's autistic ...and these things are very hard for him." 





The young woman said, "Awwww!" with a smile and suddenly we weren't being judged anymore, we were being accepted with compassion, and understood. One more person a little more aware than when she woke up this a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment