About Me

My photo
Ohio, United States
My journey before and after bariatric surgery.

Tuesday, May 29, 2012

First Bath - Memorial Day Weekend Part 1

This past weekend was Memorial Day Weekend.  It was hot and sticky, but a totally glorious three-day weekend!! 

On Saturday, Eli had a plan. "Mom," he said to me. "Sami needs a bath.  She stinks, Mom.  Can we please give her a bath?"  

Now, I don't actually smell the dog.  I mean, she smells like a dog of course, but I don't find her offensive.  

Eli, on the other hand, with his super-nose and ability to be over-sensitized by the sensory-world surrounding him, has been complaining for a few weeks now that the dog stinks.  

I really like his initiative!  And since we do what we can to help him learn how to cope with life in general, this was a great opportunity to problem-solve!  If the dog smells and you don't like it, this is how you can take care of the problem.....  

And therefore a bath for Sami ensued late Saturday morning....

Eli was all about helping too!  He wasn't leaving it all up to me!  He wanted it done and was willing to step up to do it...he just needed me there for guidance and instruction.  God Love Him, he's such a great kid!  

Eli gathered up the towels and got stuff ready. He was so excited! We got the water run at the right temperature - not too hot, not too cold.  We led Sami to the bathroom like a lamb to slaughter, but after her initial freakout, she relaxed and seemed fine after once she was in the tub; and she actually seemed to enjoy the experience overall!  

Eli giving Sami her first real bath - May 26, 2012


For the remainder of the weekend Sami was all about walking into the bathroom and sniffing the tub, looking into the tub, licking the tub, and wagging at the tub.  I don't know how she'll feel about it when she's full-grown.  I hope she still likes it because once she's a Big Dog, because there's no way I'll be able to force her or lift her into the tub!  It would be great if she still likes the process and willingly steps into the tub for me! 

Sami patiently allowing herself to be washed

Sami REALLY liked the rub down with all the towels after the bath.  She laid there and enjoyed the attention and rolled over so we could dry her belly.  She was all bundled up and cozy and cute!  

Sami's favorite part was drying off.
She got all snuggly in the the towels!


After we freed her from the towels, she got the "Rips"... where she's so excited, she just RIPS around the house at breakneck speed, racing round and round until she wears herself out.  Eli laughed and laughed and called her a "Crazy Dog"!

She must smell better now.  I haven't heard him complain about her stinking since Saturday morning! 

I plan to get Eli trained well and maybe that's something he can do for her every couple of weeks or so as part of his chores.  

I wonder how long it will take before the novelty wears off and it becomes another, 
"Aw mom...do I have to?!" chore??


No comments:

Post a Comment