About Me

My photo
Ohio, United States
My journey before and after bariatric surgery.

Thursday, November 15, 2012

As the whirlwind turns....

A month and a half ago I made the very difficult, very painful decision to give up my second, part-time bookkeeping job.  As much as I loved the job, I felt I needed to be home more.  I knew I would miss the work, and especially the added income!  But I had to make a choice as to what my priorities were, and after a lot of prayer, I knew the right decision.  So, with tears, I tenured my resignation.

I spent the month of October training my replacement, who will do a wonderful job, and Friday, November 2nd, was my last night working there.  It was bittersweet as I left for the last time, leaving my keys in an envelope on the office manager's desk, and walking across the parking lot in the dark to my car.  My last Friday night away from home.  I didn't cry.  I felt a good deal of relief in fact...but it was still sad.  I have spent every Monday evening and Friday night, at that job for the past four years.  It felt like leaving home.  But there's excitement in the freedom!  Maybe now I can go to movie on a Friday night!  Maybe now I can attend all those "things" I've had to decline over the past four years ... how many times have I said, "No, I'm sorry...I have to work that night."?  Maybe now I can say, "Sure!  I'd LOVE to go!"

A few posts back I mentioned the decision to start taking better care of myself.  I was going to have to clear the excess out of my life in order to stop running myself into the ground.  I need to be around for a long, long time for Ash and Eli.  I need to be healthy.  I want to know my grandchildren.  I want to still be living an active life even when I'm 85 years old!

So I began the process!  I'm getting rid of the excess.  Excess obligations.  Excess weight (slooow process, but it IS happening!) And I'm promoting more of the positives in my life....more family time, more downtime, more rest.  I NEED to have more exercise, but I haven't gotten there yet!

How about you?  Are there things you need to leave behind?  Things you need to walk away from?  Are there things in your life that are weighing you down and making it so you cannot do the things you want to do, or BE the person you want to be?

As 2012 is winding down, maybe it's time to stop and really look at your life.  What really is your TOP priority?  Is that where you are spending the majority of your time? Your effort? Your money?  Is that what you are working the hardest to nurture?

If you're not, it's time to make a change.  It won't be easy.  It won't be without pain and loss.  But if that one "thing" is really the most important thing, then you should certainly sacrifice the rest to put it first.  Because we really don't know what tomorrow brings.

No comments:

Post a Comment