About Me

My photo
Ohio, United States
My journey before and after bariatric surgery.

Thursday, June 7, 2012

Big Brother's Birthday

I'm always on here bragging about Eli and what a great kid he is and how proud I am of him.  
Today, it's Ash's turn.

Today is big brother Ash's Birthday - he's 15 years old!  He's such a wonderful guy!  I'm so proud to be able to make the claim that "I'm Ash's Mom".  No one else can make that claim...I own it, and I feel so honored!   

I'm Ash's Mom.  
 Oh, it sends pure joy through my very soul! 

Alexis and Ash, May 2012
Ash humbles and blesses me on a daily basis because he is such a good person.  I know Ben and I have done a lot to ensure we raise our boys right, but I still think a lot of Ash's really good qualities just naturally come from within him.  I think it's just "who Ash is"...and I love him so much for his "old soul", his humor, his sense of chivalry, his intelligence and the fact that he has a really good head on his shoulders.

I watch him with Eli.  Sure, they have their moments where they both want to rip each others heads off, but what siblings don't?!  But I also see the patience Ash shows Eli and the compassion, the tolerance and understanding.  Because of his connection to Eli, Ash will be a more compassionate, tolerant man.  I see how difficult it can be for Ash at times and how he fights his own emotions at times in order to do what he knows is the right thing.  And I see the brotherly love they share.

The other night I listened to Ash and Eli giggling over a video game.  Just two brothers, openly laughing out loud and being together.  They were cracking themselves up and sharing the fun together. There was no autism in the room in that moment. Just two brothers, sharing hilarity and making fun memories for each other and with one another.  I was in the kitchen fixing dinner, listening and feeling my heart swell with love and hope and promise.  I raised a silent prayer of thanksgiving that Eli has his big brother Ash in his life.  Ash gives Eli so much that I could never give.

I am Ash and Eli's Mom.
There are no words to describe how I feel right now.

Saturday we'll take Ash's Birthday Celebration to Texas Roadhouse for dinner, along with Ash's sweet girlfriend Alexis.  Nothing screams PARTY like STEAK, as far as Ash is concerned. Of course the rest of the family was more than happy to join in a steak celebration!  Yum!

Happy Birthday, Ash. 
Thank you for being You.

No comments:

Post a Comment