About Me

My photo
Ohio, United States
My journey before and after bariatric surgery.

Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Snug as a bug in a rug!

I've recently learned that a common technique for calming autistic children down is to wrap them all up "like a burrito" in a blanket.  They enjoy it and it apparently helps them to calm down from sensory overload, from what I've read.  Seeing as I'm not a Dr. and we're just learning all these new things, I'm sure there's a broader explanation for the wrapping technique than that.  However, I'm just blown away by the fact that Eli has already incorporated this technique, naturally, and on his own!

Every weekday morning the routine is the same.  Eli gets up, he sits in Daddy's chair until breakfast is on the table.  He moves to the table, eats, takes his morning meds in whatever order he's designed for himself, and after clearing his breakfast dishes, he then moves to Mommy & Daddy's bed until 6:20 a.m. 

It is here, in our bed each morning, where he has already perfected the "burrito" technique all on his own!  He comes in and burrows down under the covers, often asking for help to make sure all the covers are up  completely over his head.  He's wrapped also in his own soft fleece "snuggie"-type blanket, all coccooned and snug as a bug in a rug! 

What a clever coping strategy he figured out all by himself!  What more appropriate time of day as well, for when would it be the most difficult for him?  He's coming out of sleep, out of a dark, quiet room into the  bright main part of the house, where there is light and music is playing.  It never occurred to me this may be a shock to his system or more than he can handle.  It's not super bright, or super loud, but it's a change for him at that moment.  His meds aren't in his system at that point, because he's just taken them with breakfast, so first thing in the morning is just a raw time for him I suspect. 

I plan to utilize the wrapping technique in the future for times when Eli begins to show signs a meltdown.  I'm just now learning this could be due to sensory overload, as I mentioned before.  The trigger for the meltdown may not even be happening at the moment...it might be the after effects of something that happened hours ago!  These are the things we, as parents, need to know and need to understand in order to help him. All the information is right before us....we just need to know how to interpret and understand it. 

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know Eli did that every morning! I feel like I'm learning more about him already!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes! After he leaves the bed, he spends 5 mins on daddy's lap...Daddy Time... and then, only then, it's time to get dressed, brush teeth, etc. This is the Monday - Friday routine during the school year. It's just our normal life! :)

    ReplyDelete